Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Habit Forming - Day 8

Well, here I am on day 8 of my big habit forming challenge and I think I am seeing some progress.

Today was a pretty good day and even though I didn't get a shower in this morning (I'm sorry...that's just the way it is around here some days), I did get more than expected accomplished.

My morning routine was thrown off slightly by the lack of a shower but except for that and not making my bed, I did get everything on the list done:
  • Dressed by 8am
  • Both kids up, fed, dressed and out the door by 8:30am
  • Swim class for Junior - done (this was his last class. Because it is soooo expensive and he hates it, we pulled the plug on this activity)
  • Dishwasher emptied
  • Homeschooling done before lunch
  • Laundry rebooted
  • Menu plan consulted and dinner started before lunch (crock pot french onion soup)
  • Lunch for kids, quiet time for Junior and nap for Miss A
  • Worked on my new paying gig for 2+ hours
  • Holiday pre-planning
  • Dentist appointment for Junior
  • Fed everyone dinner
  • Parable Project at our parish tonight
  • Bedtime routine for the kids
  • 20 glorious minutes of TV for me :-)
  • Dishwasher loaded and laundry folded
  • Shower before bed
  • Reviewed calendar/menu plan and prepped for tomorrow
I took on a new paying activity. I am planning a big social event for pay. Not really my thing, but it fell into my lap, so I'm going to give it my best shot. I've done some party and event planning (besides our wedding) in the past for corporate events, so I figured I could do it again for a little extra money. The pay will allow me to hire a doula for Baby Waywei's* birth this winter.

I also mentioned that I did some planning for the Holidays this year. I started putting together my "flight plan" to get me through them smoothly and with as little stress as possible. After quitting my job, our income was literally halved so Christmas will be a little less extravagant than in years past. I don't want the kids to notice though, so I have come up with some cool ideas to stretch our Christmas buck and still deliver a WOW to the kids. I even have an idea of two things for my darling husband that I think will delight him.

If time permits during this month, I'll share some of the planning tools I am using for getting through the Halloween/All Souls Day/Thanksgiving/St. Nicholas Day/Christmas/New Year's crush with my sanity (potentially) intact. Last year's holiday season was pure struggle as I had exactly 4 hours available to do everything. Thankfully my sister was in town and set up my tree for me just before Christmas Eve. She is a life-saver of the sweetest variety. I took the tree down just before St. Valentine's Day, but was very tempted to just leave it up and decorate it for that holiday instead.

*Baby Waywei (pronounced:  way-wee) - name given to the baby by Junior. He insists the baby is a boy and that we are naming him Waywei. He made it up and "it just sounds like a lovely name" per Junior. We have explained that Waywei is not really in our ethnic wheelhouse, but cultural barriers mean little to a 4 year old. If the baby is a girl, he has selected the name Lauren after a little girl in his day care pre-school class that he wanted to marry. Neither of these names are on the docket for this baby. I told him that the doctor would just read the baby's tag when it comes out and tell us the name. What? I'm not going to be the one to disappoint him when the baby's name is not Waywei. Let the doctor take the blame. We also don't know if we are having a boy or a girl. The baby looked perfectly healthy and "normal" on the ultrasound a few weeks ago. S/he was waving to her/his siblings on the monitor. It was precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment