Friday, May 13, 2011

Recipe: Spinach Stuffed Biscuits

I think I'm going to share recipes on Thursdays.  I'll call it "Try It This Weekend Thursdays".  And I would have posted this on Thursday if Blog.ger hadn't been down :-(

This is an easy go-to recipe when your pantry gets low.  My mom has made a fancier and more complicated version of this for years.  Her recipe involved making dough (or thawing frozen dough), letting it rise, stuffing a large loaf and making her own fresh spaghetti sauce.  I don't have that kind of time on my hands.  I usually have about a half hour to get dinner on the table each night, so whatever we're having has to be fast! 

I usually make my own spaghetti sauce from scratch, but I make a HUGE batch and freeze lots of it so I can just grab one out of the freezer in the morning before we leave for the day and let it thaw.  If you have the time or inclination to make your own sauce or dough - go for it! 

Even my 2 year old will eat this, and not many two year olds eat spinach willingly!

Spinach Stuffed Biscuits

1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach
1 tube refrigerated butter biscuits
1 cup mozzarella cheese
Any other filings desired (ham, broccoli, sausage)
1 jar Spaghetti sauce

Preheat oven according to biscuit package directions.

Cook frozen spinach according to package directions.  Drain very well.

Place biscuits on baking sheet, cut open to create pockets for filling (slice open as if you were going to butter the biscuits).

Divide spinach between the biscuits, divide cheese between the biscuits add any other toppings you'd like.

Close the biscuits to seal in the filling (it helps to press the edges with the tines of a fork).

Bake according to biscuit package directions.

Serve hot with spaghetti sauce.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment