Thursday, May 26, 2011

Try It This Weekend Thursday: Curry Chicken Salad

Looks like summer is finally here, or as I like to call it Chicken Salad Season!  Chicken salad is such a go-to meal for me in the summer - easy to throw together and very portable.  It last several days in the refrigerator and you can customize the ingredients based on what you have on hand or what's in season. 

This is one of my favorite chicken salad recipes because it’s a little unexpected, but nonetheless delicious.  Without celery in the recipe, the pecans provide a nice crunch and the grapes add pops of sweetness to each bite.

As your garden starts to really produce cucumbers and you’re struggling to use them up (how many jars of pickles do you really need?!?), try this:  slice the cucumber in half lengthwise, use a spoon to scoop out the seeds, and use the cucumber in place of bread, pita or lawash wrap.  When I was pregnant with Junior, I developed gestational diabetes and I couldn’t eat 2 slices of bread together without having a bad effect on my blood sugar numbers.  I started replacing bread with cucumbers in all my sandwiches. Yummmm…

½ cup mayonnaise
1 T. honey
1 t. curry powder
2 cups cooked chicken (shredded or cubed)
1 cup halved green grapes
½ cup chopped pecans
4 green onions, chopped
4 pita breads, halved
Lettuce (optional)

In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, honey and curry powder.  Stir in the chicken, grapes, pecans and green onions.  Line the pita halves with lettuce (if desired), scoop ½ cup chicken mixture into each pitta half.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm! I love cucumbers! I'll have to try that! And thanks for the tip on the All Free & Clear and the strawberry cookie recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete